Tuesday 20 November 2012

Improbable Fiction, 'Unofficial Soundtrack'

Whenever I 'do' a play (act, direct, crew), I compile a soundtrack for it. This excludes musicals, obviously, which have kindly provided their own. 

Music is very closely linked to memory in my mind, so I find the 'soundtrack' a useful device and aide memoire. It picks up on certain lines or characters, and focuses my mind as I drive to rehearsals. It also manages to keep me awake as I drive home late and exhausted after rehearsals. I've not got to bed before midnight for over a week and we open on Friday so I need it.

For people unfamiliar with Alan Ayckbourn's Improbable Fiction, this playlist may seem a little odd. For those who do know the play, it may seem even more so. But these are the tracks that come to mind when I'm working on the play. "They're in order, but... well, you'll see..."
  1. Paperback Writer - The Beatles
  2. I Close My Eyes and Count to Ten - Dusty Springfield
  3. City Hobgoblins - The Fall
  4. Build Me Up Buttercup - The Foundations
  5. Writer's Block - Just Jack
  6. The Social Network Song (Oh Oh - Uh - Oh Oh) - Valentina Monetta
  7. I Write the Songs - Tom Jones
  8. Everyday I Write the Book - Elvis Costello
  9. Java Jive - The Ink Spots
  10. Oxford Comma - Vampire Weekend
  11. Invisible - Alison Moyet
  12. Thunder in the Mountains - Toyah
  13. Something Canged - Pulp
  14. Just an Illusion - Imagination
  15. Once in a Lifetime - Talking Heads
  16. We Are Detective - The Thompson Twins
  17. Hot Soup - Da Vinci's Notebook
  18. I've Committed Murder - Macy Gray
  19. Where's Your Head At? - Basement Jaxx
  20. Wasted Life - Stiff Little Fingers
  21. Spaceman - Babylon Zoo

No comments: