Friday 9 September 2022

Friday Five: Cross-stitch quotes from Our Country's Good

Tonight is opening night of Our Country's Good by Timberlake Wertenbaker at Canberra Repertory Theatre. As I am in it, I have listened to the wonderful words night after night in rehearsal and, as is my wont, in my down time I have created cross-stitch patterns based on the text to make into cards for the cast. 

The colours I have used are based on the plumage of Australian birds (mainly parrots). I remember when I first moved here myself, how taken I was with the avian vibrancy, and so the line, "You have been made Governor-in-Chief of a paradise of birds" (spoken to Captain Arthur Phillip by Captain David Collins) resonates particularly strongly. 

Said by Arthur Philip (played by Amy Crawford) in the colours of a Bald-eyed corella (Cacatua sanguinea)
Said by 'Shitty' Meg Long (played by Meaghan Stewart) in the colours of a Rainbow lorikeet (Trichoglossus moluccanus
Said by Robert Sideway (played by Isabelle Gurney) in the colours of a Sulphur-crested cockatoo (Cacatua galerita)
Said by Liz Morden (played by Alexandra Pelvin) in the colours of a Yellow-tailed black cockatoo (Zanda funerea)
Said by Mary Brenham (played by Rosy Fasano) in the colours of a Galah (Eolophus roseicapilla)

1 comment: