Sunday 4 January 2009

New Years Resolutions

Happy New Year everybody.

So, did you make any New Year resolutions? That's what my sister asked when she phoned me this morning. I don't really 'do' New Year resolutions, which I think disappointed her somewhat. She, incidentally, has resolved to wear more perfume. That's one of the best New Year's resolutions I've ever heard!

I would like to get my novel finished. I am about five full days' writing away from finishing the first draft after this stint over the holidays, so I think that should be highly achievable. I don't want to put undue pressure on myself, however. I have Him Outdoors for that.

I also aim to do more with photography. This is a little bit vague, I realise, which can be the problem with New Year's resolutions. I have a friend who once resolved to 'be nicer to people'. I'm not entirely convinced that she achieved this aim, as I don't know what her benchmark was. I have another friend who makes a resolution to give up smoking every year. He doesn't smoke, so he says he will always feel a sense of achievement.

Perhaps I need some goal to aim for with the photography. We bought me a camera over the holiday period and I have been practicing with various settings. So far I have got lots of photos of the cat. I haven't read the section on how to download them from the memory card yet though (I hate reading instructions) so they remain in the camera for now.

I have also resolved not to use phrases like 'credit crunch' and talk about things I know nothing about. If I'm interested, I will do some reading around the subject. If not, I will just shut up and avoid conversations with people who know equally little but have seen an item on the news and so are aping all the latest soundbites with nothing fresh to add of their own.

Neither am I going to read women's magazines about how someone is too thin/not thin enough/ pregnant/ engaged/ divorced. Those magazines are entirely aimed at making real women feel inadequate and I won't allow myself to feel like that just because I haven't got a multi-million dollar house and husband, cosmetic surgery, my own design label, and an array of adopted children from impoverished nations.

Finally, I would like to see Liverpool lift the Premier League Trophy. I can't do much about that apart from offer my wholehearted support. It's all yours, boys. I'm pretty sure you can't make New Year's Resolutions on the behalf of others, so maybe it's more like a New Year's Wish then.

We're four days into the year already, so many resolutions will be broken by now. A study by psychologists at the University of Hertfordshire (previously Hatfield Poly) of more than 3,000 people who made New Year's resolutions, found that only 12% achieved their goals. Who are these people, and would you trust them? If they can't even keep a promise to themselves, how can they expected to keep one to anyone else? Perhaps that's a question that should be asked of prospective employees or partners. It could save a lot of heartache. Just for the record, Him Outdoors doesn't make them either.

If you have made resolutions of your own, I hope you achieve them, or at least have a lot of fun trying.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy new year, Kate and congrats on getting a new camera. I'm plannng to get one, too, but want to test out a few models lve to see if I can stand something bigger.

Don't know if this has crossed your radar yet, but lots of folks here are signing up for project 365, which involves taking a photo a day. That's the easy part. The harder part is actually uploading them somewhere. Maybe that could be your resolution-actually getting them off your camera!

BTW, love Sarah's resolution.

link for the 365 project and generally v cool photography site...

http://photojojo.com/content/tutorials/project-365-take-a-photo-a-day/

Kate Blackhurst said...

That's a great idea. Once again, however, I am already several days behind. Maybe I can make mine a 360 project?

Let me know if/when you get your new camera - I'd love to see the results!

Kate xx

P.S. How did you guess which sister it was? And you were right, by the way.

Anonymous said...

There is also a 52 project; much more doable--and the one I'm going to attempt!

Still no new camera. Was frustrated beyond belief at what passed for customer service at the megalith electronics store this afternoon and walked out.

On the perfume resolution, easy. She popped straight into my mind. you said she was the queen of details, after all. Only later did I think, she didn't say which sister but I still was 97% sure! :)