Saturday 6 June 2009

My Newest Favourite Thing: Life Insurance

Two things this week have made me think about life insurance. Dalu Mncube was mauled to death by a white tiger at a wildlife park and his family want his body to be returned to South Africa. Meanwhile, Tony Costa was hit on the head with a surfboard and killed leaving behind a pregnant widow and two young children. In both cases public appeals have been launched to raise funds.

Him Outdoors and I have life insurance, for one simple reason – we love each other. I have also made a will which spells out what I want to happen in the event of my demise for a similar reason. You may think this sounds morbid, but I know that I want to be cremated and my ashes taken to England. It costs money to transport a body. It costs money to hold a funeral. And the last thing I want my nearest and dearest to be thinking about is money.

I would like to think that Him Outdoors will be able to take time off work to grieve if necessary and to follow his goals, and continue with his life, without the fear of not meeting the mortgage payments. He feels the same thing if the situation were reversed. We have discussed it and made arrangements. Of course we don’t want it to happen, but we are financially prepared.

It costs less than $15 a fortnight to ensure (and insure) this for me and slightly more for him – he’s male, older, and works with electricity, all of which make him a bigger risk. That’s peace of mind for the cost of a couple of coffees a week. Sure, I won’t care when I’m dead, but I care now that I’m alive. And we don’t even have dependants. The thought of leaving your partner and kids with nothing for the sake of a measly pint of beer a week beggars belief to me.

And yet this happens every day. True, you may not be able to get life insurance for surfing or tiger taming, but what’s everyone else’s excuse? Is there an assumption that the public will look after you? How do we choose to which (news-)worthy causes to donate? Is this entirely media-driven? Or will we invent some ghastly game-show; Public Donations Idol? Text your vote for the most deserving grieving widow?

Why can’t we take responsibility for ourselves, plan ahead and consider those we love while we have the chance? A life insurance may not be the most romantic gift you can give your partner, but it may be infinitely more valuable than a diamond ring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Because generally, we're a bit shit.