Tuesday 24 June 2008

Euro 2008: Quarter-finals

If I were Croatia, I would be feeling robbed, gutted, sick as a parrot and a glut of other footballing cliches. They scored in what should have been the last minute of time added on at the end of extra time. The ref decided to play 'Fergie time' - just a few more minutes until the other side bags a goal. It was a shocking decision to play that much more time added on, and one that has cost Croatia a place in the semi-finals.

Happily, I'm not Croatia and I have watched some entertaining football thus far. The Russia v Netherlands game was a classic, full of all sorts of excitement and quite a few spectacular goals. I don't think the fans were expecting that.

Spain v Italy was less thrilling, but the best team won as far as I'm concerned even if it did come down to the dreaded penalty shoot-out. Of course I was pleased to see Ronaldo do his depart-in-tears routine - it couldn't happen to a nicer bloke. And now I've got two days without football. I'll hardly know what to do with myself until the semis.

I suppose I shall have to go back to the usual round of cultural diversions - theatres; films; art galleries; exhibitions... I'd count Euro 2008 among them as sheer entertainment.

No comments: