Monday 10 October 2011

Quick Quintet: Fictional Lions

The Weevil told me that she recently watched The Wizard of Oz for the first time ever, having previously been too scared of the witch. Her children kept asking her what was going to happen, and she couldn't tell them - I wouldn't tell them but would wait for them to find out; suspense is a wonderful thing.

My favourite thing in that film is the cowardly lion - of course he has courage all along, but he just doesn't know it. There is no point being brave if you haven't got a principle to support. I think I worked that out on first viewing. I must have been terribly precocious. Anyway, it got me thinking about my favourite lions, as you do.

5 Fictional Lions:
  1. The Lion that ate Albert in Marriott Edgar's poem
  2. Aslan from the Narnia series of books - I realised the god-complex involved and was a little bit of afraid of the fierce but fair beast
  3. The three lions on the England coat of arms
  4. Parsley the Lion from The Herbs
  5. The Lion King - I wasn't a fan of the film but when we saw it on stage at the Lyceum in London, I was blown away 

No comments: