Wednesday 9 April 2008

Breath mints

My new favourite thing is Eclipse breath mints - especially the peppermint flavour. I love the shiny metallic packaging, and the way it pops into your handbag. I love the crisp cleansing taste of the little mints and the way they clear your sinuses and make it feel like you're breathing up a mountain. I love the oval shape and the two-tone colour. But most of all I love the sound they make when they rattle around in the box.

They are so much better than those weird gel strips that were doing the rounds a few years back - remember the things? You put them on your tongue and they dissolved. It always felt curiously illicit but not nearly as satisfying. What a huge marketing con that was! Has there been a better one in recent memory?

Bizarrely enough, they made it onto the Time list for best inventions of 2002. But then again, so did a Japanese invention that claimed it could translate what your dog was 'saying' by attaching radio microphone to its collar. It was called a 'Bowlingual'. I'm not making this up!

No comments: