Last weekend the Beer Day Out was held in Canberra. It featured over 25 Australian and international craft breweries. it was a well-run event with lots of beer, some cider and a fair amount of sampling and laughter. Although I didn't have any, apparently the food was pretty good too. I had worked all day and arrived at about 5pm, by which time some of the stalls had run out of refreshment, but these were my favourites:
5 Top Brews at Beer Day Out:
- Bent Spoke Brewing Co Frenzy - a raspberry infused wheat beer, launched today for Canberra Beer Week; it's sour, fruit, pink, tasty, and perfect for a warm summer's day - I predict I'll be having many more of these over the coming months.
- Bridge Road Brewers Lonsdale Hopster - a marzen on tap (almost; via a jug); it's hoppy and dry, with essence of hay bales; very tasty but oddly with a taste that leaves one thirsty, or is it just wanting more?
- Nail Brewing Wombat Wheat - a Hefeweizen; crisp, refreshing, hints of bananas, not too clovey and very nice indeed!
- 8 Wired Brewing Barrel-Aged Imperial Porter - raisins and other chewy dried fruits, with a delicious richness and full-mouth feel.
- Nomad Brewing Co Jet-Lag IPA - hoppy; bitter; well-balanced between hops (American and Aussie) and malts (pale; ale; caramel); bursting with tropical flavours; just what an IPA should be