Saturday 22 October 2011

Quick Quintet: Mother's Commandments

Every now and then the topic of mentors and role models is raised, particularly around sporting events. There has just been a rather large one here in New Zealand and with on-and-off-field antics, people are once again questioning whether children should look up to sporting heroes for behavioural models.

I think not. I believe that's what parents are for (or else, what the hell are they actually doing?). No matter what they tell you, mothers do not always know best, but they can give you some pretty good pointers. You learn which to follow and which to ignore, but there are some things my mother taught me I will always value.

5 Pieces of Maternal Advice:
  1. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all
  2. Never say behind someone's back something you wouldn't say to their face
  3. To a couple of people you may be extremely important - no one else cares: don't show off
  4. Don't expose your kidneys; you'll catch your death
  5. Never display your underwear in public; male or female - it's skanky. (I think mother actually used the word 'common', but that's what she meant)

No comments: